Pop Up

Receive all updates via Facebook. Just Click the Like Button Below...

Powered By EXEIdeas

Monday, 4 February 2013

Emotional Attachments (Part 1)



I believe we all have sentimental places and objects that evoke memories. Those strong memories about something or someone. It’s like a scent that unknowingly teleports you to the past. Long ago, I heard from a friend that her uncle in Wales, ( about 30 years old at that time) goes to a park every weekend, where his late wife and him used to date. Apparently it was the park he first met the wife. She told me that the man couldn’t accept the fact that his wife was dead. It seems he finds some peace of mind going to places where he and his late wife used to spend happily.

Not the best recipe to move on with life. But this is us, humans. We’re born with emotions. With emotions come emotional attachments.  And this is what supposed to give our time on earth that sprinkle of meaning and significance. What's more astounding is that emotional attachments, sentiments and feelings are not just made for humans..... Animals have that too...here's a story..

Nikonarte Fotografia

Two months after his owner died, a heartbroken dog in Italy keeps turning up each day at the church where the owner used to attend.

Tommy aka Ciccio, a 12-year-old German Shepherd, waits in vain in front of the altar of the Santa Maria Assunta church in the village of San Donaci. He heads to the church as soon as the bells begin to ring each afternoon, just as he did for years when his owner was alive.

The owner, 57 year old Maria Margherita Lochi died suddenly in November 2012. Tommy attended the funeral. He followed his ‘mother’s’ coffin as it was carried into the same church.

The villagers say the dog is missing the owner so much that, he is attending services at the Italian church ever since. The villagers believe Tommy knows that Maria is gone, but this is best he can do, to remain in touch with his best and last memories together with his owner. The church was where Maria’s funeral was held and some other villagers believe that, Tommy has been patiently waiting for her to return.

Nikonarte Fotografia

A few years ago, Maria adopted Tommy when she found him abandoned in the fields close to her home. Maria had in fact adopted several strays she found, but friends said she developed a particular close affection for Tommy. She would walk to church with him from home every day - where the priest would allow Tommy to sit patiently by her feet.

Father Donato Panna said ''He's there every time I celebrate Mass and is very well behaved . Tommy doesn't make a sound, I've not heard one bark from him in all the time he has been coming in. 

“He used to come to Mass with Maria and he was obviously devoted to her. I let him stay inside as he was always so well behaved and none of the other parishoners ever complained to me.

Nikonarte Fotografia

“He's still coming to Mass even after Maria's funeral. He waits patiently by the side of the altar and just sits there quietly. I didn't have the heart to throw him out.  I've just recently lost my own dog, so I leave him there until the Mass finishes and then I let him out” he said.

Although Maria is gone, Tommy has been a regular at the Church.  He’s never missed a day, nor he’s been late. Tommy arrives on time when the bells ring out to mark the start of services.  Nevertheless, he is clearly shattered, mournful and broken. It shows in his face and they way he behaves. Tommy can never forget his ‘mother’ Maria.





The story of Tommy’s devotion had been circulating in the media all over Italy over the last few weeks. According to an Italian friend of mine, people who have been reading the story have offered to adopt Tommy and give him a new life. But again, in doing so, they are afraid this will take away his comfort, fondness and emotional attachment to the place.


Tommy is now being fed by church visitors and I hope he will be slowly attached to any one of them. He needs a new real home and a family. Perhaps it's better, if the family is someone from the same village and one who travels to the church like he used to everyday.

Tommy also reminds me of Capitan -- the entry I did few months back about a dog which has been guarding the master’s grave ever since his death.(CLICK). A devotion of this magnitude puts animals like dogs on par if not better than humans, when it comes to perseverance to continuously love what they always loved. On top of that, a dog like Tommy was not bought from that expensive pet shop. He was an abandoned stray and he was adopted. This should give you all the more reason to adopt and as to why adopted dogs are so special.
As I write this, it is hair-raising.........

..........More updates about Tommy in PART 2...........(CLICK HERE)


22 comments:

  1. God's beautiful creature that knows loyalty, love n care more than us human. Goshhh bro...a very heartbroken story but beautiful tale of human and animal that we will remember forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Kenneth, more than human indeed.Thanks..

      Delete
    2. I agree too..

      Delete
  2. I cried after reading this entry..
    Really love ur blog..
    I want to follow ur blog but it seems u did not put follow mw tab..
    Can u put it up?
    So i can view ur blog with no problem..
    Tq :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Intan. If you meant the Google+ followers tab, I just added it. :)

      Delete
  3. The most creative pet blog I've seen..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cried for the most beautiful story I've read... =,)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love dog...I love animals...I love this heart touching story so much...thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for writing about the love of a pets for their mothers or fathers and especially the ones that has been adopted. The love and devotion of a pet, especially the ones that are adopted knows no bounds. As an animal communicator, I encourage others to always adopt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This lovely dog has made me cry, as i've just lost my dog(billy by the name)a few weeks ago by a tragic way. I've just lost one of our family member even thou he's just a dog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hv shared the picture and the link of this blog on my instagram (@eyka_pyka). Dog's loyalty never failed to make me tears. This might sound crazy, but it would be great if I can trained my husband to be as loyal as a dog. Lol... but I will never know until Im gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha...will feature your husband soon.. :D

      Btw thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
    2. you are funny..

      Delete
  9. As usual.. i dropped here.. nice story bro.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. another touching dog loyalty and love story.. not too many can hold back tears I guess..

    ReplyDelete